- A method in which the counselor or therapist leads the client through a number of questions to become aware of thoughts and distortions in thinking and to find and implement more adaptive replacements is called Socratic questioning.True
- Cognitive therapy requires a large number of sessions to carry out treatment effectively.True
- Alfred Adler was the first to notice that the development of children within families was heavily influenced by:balance of control between parents.
rivalry among the children.
the cultural context of the family.
- An example of a theory that currently uses symbolic approaches as a basis for counseling is:Jungian analysis.
rational emotive behavior therapy.
- Regarding multicultural counseling, narrative therapy has been found to be particularly effective because:defines mental health within a social, political, and relational context.
it was founded in a sociocultural context.
it allows clients to tell their unique stories from their perspective.
all of these are true.
- One of the most attractive features of Gestalt theory is its attention to the holistic nature of humankind.True
- According to Jung, which of the following represents the integration of the conscious, personal unconscious, and collective unconscious in the individual?ego
- Two major disorders given a great deal of attention in feminist literature are:personality disorders and bipolar disorders.
borderline personality disorders and hypertension.
eating disorders and posttraumatic stress disorder.
insomnia and posttraumatic stress disorder.
- Psychoanalytic theory suggests that behavior is largely determined by irrational forces, conscious motivations, and biological or instinctual drive.True
- Dialectical behavior theory was initially developed to treat:narcissistic personality disorder.
histrionic personality disorder.
borderline personality disorder.
antisocial personality disorder.
- To understand the impact of diversity on counseling and psychotherapy, it is essential to understand which of the following?the systems in which clients develop and live
the impact of culture upon the client
the individual client’s view of the world
all of the above
- Dialectical behavior theory uses a behavioral technique known as _______ in which the client learns to tolerate painful emotions without enacting self-destructive behaviors:positive reinforcement
- The dialectical behavior theory model proposes that a successful counseling intervention must meet five critical functions. Which of the following is not one of these functions?improve and preserve the clients’ incentive to change
boost the clients’ capabilities
ensure the clients’ capabilities are specific to their environment
structure the environment so that the treatment can take place
- The central issue in existential therapy is:resistance.
freedom and responsibility.
examining irrational beliefs.
- Which of these solution-focused therapy techniques involves asking clients to describe times in their lives they were able to solve their problem or when their problem was less severe?the miracle question
the “change” or exception question
- The concept of triangulation is most associated with:Virginia Satir.
- Feminists believe it is essential to recognize that women and men are socialized differently and that gender role expectations begin to influence human development from the moment a child is born.True
- The organized, realistic part of the psyche that mediates and seeks a balance between the other two is known as the superego.True
- Confrontation is never used in Adlerian counseling.True
- The systems perspective implies:the external environment is the most powerful influence on an individual’s development.
individuals are autonomous and independent of their families.
individuals are best understood through the context of their role in their families.
systemic intervention is required to deconstruct unhealthy family patterns.
- Rational emotive behavior therapy is based on the notion that what you feel is based on what you think.True
- The core practice of transpersonal counseling includes which of the following:yoga
all of the above
- Existential counseling or psychotherapy provides an excellent context for addressing culture and diversity.True
- Which statement is true of the person-centered approach?Therapists should act largely as teachers.
The techniques used by the therapist are less important than his or her attitudes.
Therapy is primarily the therapist’s responsibility.
Therapists should give advice when clients need it.
- A client is partaking in cognitive distortion when he or she exaggerates a negative event to the point that the event has more impact than it deserves. What is this called?disqualifying the positive
none of the above
- Although the theoretical underpinnings of transpersonal theory can be credited to a number of individuals, theories, and philosophical approaches to mental health and spiritual experience, _______ has emerged as the primary leader of this burgeoning field.Groff
- Dialectical behavior theory is driven by three theories. Which of the following is not one of those?behavior therapy
biosocial theory of borderline personality disorder
- In the A-B-C model proposed by Ellis, the factor that creates the emotional and behavioral consequences is:activating event.
none of the above.