- The most important factor in the therapeutic alliance is the:client’s willingness to work hard.
depth of the problems being experienced.
counselor’s or therapist’s skills.
quality and nature of the relationship between counselor or therapist and client.
- In transpersonal counseling theory, differentiating between ___________ and true psychotic states is of extreme importance to optimize counseling and prevent unnecessary or harmful treatment.false psychosis
altered states of consciousness
- A tool for conceptualizing key relationships in a three-generational extended family is a:family sketch.
- Dialectical behavior theory uses a behavioral technique known as _______ in which the client learns to tolerate painful emotions without enacting self-destructive behaviors:negative reinforcement
- Creating an egalitarian therapeutic relationship is important to feminists becauseclients expect their therapists to be experts who can help them solve their problems
male clients are often uncomfortable with powerlessness
the inequities in the client’s life should not be replicated in the therapeutic relationship
informed consent is mandated by professional codes of ethics
- The defense mechanism of redirecting thoughts, feelings, and impulses from an object that gives rise to anxiety to a safer, more acceptable one is known as:repression.
- The systems perspective implies:the external environment is the most powerful influence on an individual’s development.
individuals are autonomous and independent of their families.
individuals are best understood through the context of their role in their families.
systemic intervention is required to deconstruct unhealthy family patterns.
- Which of the following did Adler not stress?the unity of personality
behavior is purposeful and goal oriented
focus on early childhood sexual experiences as determinants of personality functioning
feelings of inferiority
- Ellis developed the A-B-C model to illustrate the process of change. A-B-C stands for:action, behavior, consequences.
activating event, behavior, cognitions
antecedent, belief, cognitions
activating event, belief, consequence
- Which of these solution-focused therapy techniques involves asking clients to describe times in their lives they were able to solve their problem or when their problem was less severe?scaling questions
the “change” or exception question
the miracle question
- The central concept of the expressive arts approach in counseling is:meditation.
- In classic psychoanalysis, the counselor maintains a “blank screen” approach in order to:analyze transference.
disengage from the client.
- The founder of rational emotive behavior therapy (REBT) is:Frederick “Fritz” Perls.
- The concepts of ___________ are vital to creativity in counseling.drama therapy, role play, and empty chair techniques
culture, mutual relationships, and recognition of power structures
hierarchy of needs, trauma recognition, and validation
psychoanalytic theory, diagnosis, and assessment
- Which of the following family therapists is best known for his or her structural approach to treatment?Minuchin
- Awareness is the key to Gestalt therapy. Through awareness, the organism/person naturally proceeds toward:impasse.
growth, integration, and differentiated unity.
- Reality therapy is:more rational than humanistic.
more humanistic than existential.
more cognitive–behavioral than nondirective.
more behavioral than cognitive.
- A feminist therapist counseling a client who suffers from an eating disorder would be most likely toexplore with the client the messages she has internalized from the mass media
explore whether the client has a history of sexual victimization
establish immediate goals for healthy eating and weight gain
refer the client to group counseling rather than establish an individual counseling relationship, because groups have been shown to be a more effective treatment modality
- Which of the following is not one of the four parts to dream narratives according to Jung?identifying the turning point in the dream
determining what caused the dream
telling who, where, when, and what of the dream
exposure and exploration of the complexes