- Self in-relation theory was the work of:Sharf and Bem.
Jordan and Surrey.
Jean Baker Miller.
- In the case of Maria, a counselor or therapist using CBT might focus on using:pharmacotherapy.
stress inoculation training.
Beck’s cognitive therapy.
- The three people credited for the development of Gestalt therapy are:Perls, Burber, and Nitche.
Perls, Perls, and Goodman.
Rogers, Glassman, and Goodman.
Perls, Kohler, and Koffka
- All of the following are goals of feminist therapy except for:confronting forms of institutional oppression.
freeing clients of gender role socialization.
striving for gender equality.
resolving intrapsychic conflicts from early childhood
- The person-centered view of human nature:states that people are driven by irrational forces.
assumes that people tend to remain stagnant.
views all people as basically competitive.
affirms a person’s capacity to direct his or her own life.
- The process of encouragement in Adlerian counseling includes:helping clients use all their resources and strengths.
stripping away the biological drives.
helping clients recognize that society has created situations that block clients.
all of the above.
- Cognitive therapy has been criticized for its focus on:internal events (thinking).
- Action therapy is considered a form of:dance therapy.
both a and c.
- Feminist theory is:antimale.
not a singular, unified counseling theory.
- In classic psychoanalysis, the counselor maintains a “blank screen” approach in order to:analyze transference.
two of the above.
- Castration anxiety and the Oedipus complex appear in this stage of psychosocial developmentgenital
- Which of the following did Adler not stress?the unity of personality
focus on early childhood sexual experiences as determinants of personality functioning
behavior is purposeful and goal oriented
feelings of inferiority
- Heidegger’s notions of choice, that each choice one makes represents the loss of an alternative, include all of the following except:the past becomes important in terms of lost opportunities.
future choices are limited due to past choices and the time remaining to fulfill them.
people have the freedom to choose but must balance this with responsibility.
some choices are irrational and people need to train themselves not to make them with rewards and punishments.
- Which of the following is descriptive of what closure means in existential counseling?Facing the end of the helping relationship is the final confrontation with reality.
It means stopping therapy at the end of the semester at a counseling center.
It is when counselors close out all of their files.
It is a relatively unimportant part of counseling.
- Which of the following best describes those strategies used to add depth and enhance the relationship?self-disclosure by the counselor or therapist
confrontation by the counselor or therapist
attending to nonverbal behaviors of the client
all of the above
- A strategy of feminist counselors for empowering clients is to involve them in naming their problem and participating in directing the counseling process. This strategy is called:self-disclosure.
gender role analysis.
demystifying the counseling process.