- The three people credited for the development of Gestalt therapy are:Perls, Burber, and Nitche.
Perls, Kohler, and Koffka
Perls, Perls, and Goodman.
Rogers, Glassman, and Goodman.
- Feminist theory is:unified.
not a singular, unified counseling theory.
- A key concept of Gestalt therapy isexternalizing conversations.
importance of the past.
family of origin issues.
- In the A-B-C model proposed by Ellis, the factor that creates the emotional and behavioral consequences is:beliefs.
- Which one of the following is not associated with the cognitive-behavioral action-oriented therapies?reality therapy
rational emotive behavior therapy
- Alfred Adler was the first to notice that the development of children within families was heavily influenced by:birth order
rivalry among the children.
balance of control between parents.
the cultural context of the family.
- The most common cognitive intervention in REBT therapy isHelping the client identify unhealthy emotions
Disputation of irrational beliefs
- Gestalt-therapy techniques are designed to help the client:minimize depression and anxiety.
intensify feelings and expand awareness of the here-and-now.
free him or herself from specific behavioral symptoms.
- A client tells the counselor that he is falling in love with the counselor. This is an example of:Countertransference
- Which of the following is not considered a necessary and sufficient condition for change in the person-centered framework?accurate empathy
unconditional positive regard
- Teasing out stressors poses a challenge for the family therapist because of the family’s:many stories.
severity of pain.
mistrust of therapy.
- Which of the following describes a strategy used to add depth and enhance the relationship?avoiding any confrontation by the counselor or therapist
accurately diagnosing the client
attending to nonverbal behaviors of the client
- The creative counselor believes that pathologizing clientsreinforces the shame and stigma associated with mental illness
is helpful because it provides a starting point for treatment
is necessary to complete a treatment plan
should occur only after their assessment by a psychiatrist
- Insoo Kim Berg referred to the unique position of the constructivist counselor during therapy asAll-knowing
- The founders of solution-focused brief therapy areFrederick and Laura Perls.
Aaron Beck and Albert Ellis.
Michael White and David Epston.
Insoo Kim Berg and Steve de Shazer.
- All of the following are techniques used in solution-focused therapy except for:scaling questions
the miracle question
using a reflecting team
- To understand the impact of diversity on counseling and psychotherapy, which of the following is not essential?the individual client’s view of the world
the systems in which clients develop and live
the individual client’s favorite foods
the impact of culture upon the client
- Which of the following is not considered to be a traditional REBT intervention?Spitting in the client’s soup
Helping clients experience healthy negative emotions
Using humor, in the form of exaggeration, to help clients avoid taking themselves so seriously
Helping clients discriminate between rational and irrational beliefs
- Dialectical behavior theory (DBT) was initially developed to treat:histrionic personality disorder.
borderline personality disorder.
narcissistic personality disorder.
antisocial personality disorder.
- The basic goal of psychoanalytic therapy is:to analyze a client’s lifestyle.
to make the unconscious conscious.
to examine irrational beliefs.
to solve a client’s problems.
- Heidegger’s notions of choice, that each choice one makes represents the loss of an alternative, include all of the following except:some choices are irrational and people need to train themselves not to make them with rewards and punishments.
future choices are limited due to past choices and the time remaining to fulfill them.
the past becomes important in terms of lost opportunities.
people have the freedom to choose but must balance this with responsibility.
- People who respond to others by acting on the conditions of worth others place on them are most likely to lead productive, satisfying lives.True
- According to reality therapy, human beings change their behavior only if they change their level of perception.True