Answer the following Questions or Statements as either True or False
Questions from Chapter 11 Mendel and the Gene Idea
1. ___ In genetics recessive genes are stronger than dominant genes.
2.___ Mendel’s law of segregation states that during meiosis genes and therefore chromosomes separate from each other and end up in different gametes.
3.___ The test cross will tell me whether a particular organism is Heterozygous dominant or Homozygous dominant.
4.___ A person with type A blood can receive type B blood during a transfusion.
5.___ In Snapdragons crossing two pink colored plants with each other will give me offspring in the ratio of: 2 Red, 1Pink and 1White.
6.___ Skin color occurs in at least 7 different shades. This type of inheritance is known as polygenic inheritance.
7.___ Tay-Sachs disease is an inherited disease that affects the kidneys.
8.___ A man has 6 fingers on each hand and 6 toes on each foot. His wife and daughter have the normal number of fingers and toes. Having extra fingers or toes is a dominant trait. The chance that their next child will have extra fingers and toes will be 75%.
Questions from Chapter 12 The Chromosomal Basis of Inheritance
9. ___ If a trait is X-Linked it will occur more in females than in males.
10. ___ X inactivation refers to the fact that in females only 1 of her 2 X chromosomes in any particular cell is functional.
11. Nondisjunction refers to the fact that during meiosis chromosomes and therefore the genes on those chromosomes fail to separate causing some gametes to have both copies of a particular gene or chromosome and the other gamete with no copies of the gene or chromosome.
12. ___ Deletions, Duplications, Inversions and translocations are the results of changes in the structure of chromosomes. A duplication results when a chromosome has lost one its genes.
13. ___ When a person has Down Syndrome it means that they have 3 copies of chromosome pair # 21 instead of the normal 2.
14. ___ It is not possible for a colorblind male and a carrier female to have a colorblind daughter.
15. ___ Hemophilia is an inherited X-linked trait in which the blood fails to clot properly which results in prolonged bleeding and sometimes serious damage to muscles and joints.
16. ___ If a person has the sex chromosome combination XXY that person will be a male and suffer from the condition known as Klinefelter syndrome.
17. If a woman is missing one of her X chromosomes she will suffer from the condition known as Turner syndrome (X0)
18. ___ The human X chromosome contains about 1,100 genes and the human Y chromosome contains about 78 genes.
19. ___ A gene located on either the X chromosome or the Y chromosome is called a sex-linked gene.
20. ___ Linked genes refers to the fact that one chromosome can contain many genes, similar to the pearls on a necklace.