Submit your completed assignment by following the directions linked below. Please check the Course Calendar for specific due dates. Save your assignment as a Microsoft Word document.
Please select one topic with the best and easiest to find information on, due to this is a project. The information will have to be linked to a step or series from this week to week 9 or 10. In other words it is a building project for each week. We will add to it every week until the project is finished.
For the discussion, the instructor picked number 2, due to the discussion explanation. I stated At my local hospital, we installed a patient check-in kiosk in the emergency room during the implementation of the EHR, which captured the patient’s name, date of birth, the reason for the visit, and check-in time. The patient emergency room wait time after the implementation of the EHR is another area I want to see have it improve over the years as well. I know when the system was first installed, patients were complaining of the wait time was too long. That the patients had to check in on a kiosk, and then the ER patient register would call the patient to the registration desk to finish the patient information. The older patients complained that they did not understand how to work the kiosk. They are already not feeling well. They felt like that is what the registers were getting paid to do, which is check in the patients. Now, I would love to know if their train of thought has changed or is it still the same. But, this topic might be difficult to find information on it. If so, please feel free to pick another topic.
Topic from reading:
Health Informatics Research topics
- Use of Clinical decision-making applications to improve physician documentation
- Impact of “point and click” software vs. free text on physician performance
- Reliability of Computer-Assisted coding
- Physician reaction to EHR software
- Prevention of errors with portable medical devices
- HIEs and state wide interoperability
- CPOE and its impact on physician adoption
- HIPAA compliance with the emergence of social media venues
- Impact on patient-provider relationships after EHR implementations in private practice
- HITECH and ARRA as it relates to technology adoption
Topic from group discussion:
- Impact of providers with free-text electronic health record (EHR) software vs. handwritten paper on physician performance.
- Patient Emergency Room wait time after the implementation of EHR.
- Improvement or not an Improvement in Coding with an Encoder.
Sources for Research Topics:
There are many reliable research databases that will be excellent resources for identifying and obtaining supporting documentation (secondary resources) for your research project. Below is a link to several databases you will find useful to reference through your project. These can be used to meet the requirement of two secondary resources.
- US National Library of Medicine – National Institutes of Health website
- Link to Rasmussen online library