Introduction & Art History Primer
**Please note: This is document is intended to help guide your studies. It is not a comprehensive list of test material**
● Define Historiography
● Pick an object from your immediate surroundings that has an image on it
○ Take a picture of it (include this picture with your worksheet)
○ Describe the formal aspects of this object:
○ Describe the content of this object/image
○ Describe the context of this object/image:
● Pick an image from the Introduction of the textbook
○ Title & Artist:
○ Describe the composition of the image
● Define Conventions:
● Pick your favorite genre of movie. What 3 films would be in the canon for the genre you picked? (Note that the Introduction of the text includes a different usage of the word ‘canon’)
● Pick an image from the Introduction of your text.
○ Describe the primary focal point of the image
● Describe what the Picture Plane is
Your text defines four kinds of evidence to look for when determining the age of an artifact.
● List and describe them
● List and describe the three kinds of style that your text defines
● Define Patron
○ Why is knowing who the patron is important to understanding a work of art?
● Define Illusionistic
● Define Perspective
● Define Medium
● Define Foreshortening
● Define Hierarchy of Scale
- Give an example of
○ An additive method of sculpting
○ A subtractive method of sculpting
● Define Relief Sculpture & Sculpture in the Round
● In architectural drawing, what is the difference between a plan, a section, and an elevation?