TRUE/FALSE. Write ‘T’ if the statement is true and ‘F’ if the statement is false.
11) The Kingdom Protista is a group that can best be defined as “any eukaryote that is not a plant, animal, or fungus.” True or False?
MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.
12) Phytoplankton are very important to the aquatic ecosystems because theyA) produce glucose.B) produce oxygen.C) absorb carbon dioxide.D) All of the above are true.E) None of the above are true.
13) Individuals of which protist group can grow hundreds of feet long, and almost half a foot perday?A) brown algaeB) cyanobacteriaC) slime moldsD) phytoplanktonE) water molds
14) Which of the following is considered to be most closely related to the plants?A) green algaeB) slime moldsC) diatomsD) brown algaeE) euglenidsSHORT ANSWER. Write the word or phrase that best completes each statement or answers the question.
15) What would life on Earth be like today, had eukaryotic protists not evolved?MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.
16) Fungal hyphae usually areA) diploid.
c. triploid d. n + n
17) The haploid, single-celled product of mitosis isA) sporophyteB) gametophyteC) zygoteD) sporeE) gamete
18) Claviceps purpurea is an organism from phylum ________. It infects rye plants and producestoxins (including LSD) that can produce convulsions, hallucinations, and death if consumed bya person.A) AscomycotaB) ChytriiomycotaC) DeuteromycotaD) ZygomycotaE) Basidiomycota
19) If a strong fungicide is released and eliminates all the fungi in an ecosystem, which of thefollowing is likely to happen?A) an accumulation of dead and discarded plant and animal tissuesB) increased rate of photosynthesisC) faster breakdown of leaf litterD) improved soil fertilityE) improved growth of plant species
20) A gametophyte isA) haploid.B) diploid.C) triploid.D) tetraploid.E) unable to survive.
21) The first cell after fertilization is theA) sporophyte.B) spore.C) zygote.D) seed.E) embryo.
22) BryophytesA) are mosses and liverworts.B) have poorly developed conducting tissues.C) lack true roots and leaves.D) A and BE) all of the above
23) Ginkgoes are classified as a/anA) bryophyte.
B) gymnosperm.C) seedless vascular plant.
D) angiosperm.SHORT ANSWER. Write the word or phrase that best completes each statement or answers the question.
24) Explain the difference between an angiosperm seed and a gymnosperm seed.