Assignment 2: Practicum – Week 10 Journal Entry
• Develop effective documentation skills to examine group therapy sessions with children and adolescents *
• Develop diagnoses for child and adolescent clients receiving group psychotherapy *
• Analyze legal and ethical implications of counseling child and adolescent clients with psychiatric disorders *
Select two clients you observed or counseled this week during a group therapy session for children and adolescents. Note: The two clients you select must have attended the same group session. If you select the same group you selected for the Week 8 or Week 9 Journal Entries, you must select different clients.
Then, address in your Practicum Journal the following:
• Using the Group Therapy Progress Note in this week’s Learning Resources, document the group session.
• Describe each client (without violating HIPAA regulations), and identify any pertinent history or medical information, including prescribed medications.
• Using the DSM-5, explain and justify your diagnosis for each client.
• Explain any legal and/or ethical implications related to counseling each client.
• Support your approach with evidence-based literature.
Wheeler, K. (Ed.). (2014). Psychotherapy for the advanced practice psychiatric nurse: A how-to guide for evidence-based practice. New York, NY: Springer.
• Chapter 17, “Psychotherapy with Children” (pp. 597–624)
• Chapter 20, “Termination and Outcome Evaluation” (pp. 693–712)
American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
McGillivray, J. A., & Evert, H. T. (2014). Group cognitive behavioural therapy program shows potential in reducing symptoms of depression and stress among young people with ASD. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 44(8), 2041–2051. doi:10.1007/s10803-014-2087-9
Restek-Petrović, B., Bogović, A., Mihanović, M., Grah, M., Mayer, N., & Ivezić, E. (2014). Changes in aspects of cognitive functioning in young patients with schizophrenia during group psychodynamic psychotherapy: A preliminary study. Nordic Journal of Psychiatry, 68(5), 333–340. doi:10.3109/08039488.2013.839738
Microtraining Associates (Producer). (2009). Leading groups with adolescents [Video file]. Alexandria, VA: Author. (See attached transcript)
Psychotherapy.net (Producer). (2002). Adlerian parent consultation [Video file]. Mill Valley, CA: Author. (See attached transcript)