Hypertension mechanisms and pathophysiology
Describe the risk factors that contribute to hypertension
• Describe how the risk factors contribute to the development of hypertension
salt intake, obesity and insulin resistance, the renin-angiotensin system, and the sympathetic nervous system.
6. How do the various components of the autonomic nervous system influence blood pressure?
· Include in your answer the involvement of the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous system?
· How does the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone (RAA) system influence blood pressure?
Renin is secreted from the juxtaglomerular apparatus of the kidney in response to glomerular under perfusion or a reduced salt intake. It is also released in response to stimulation from the sympathetic nervous system
7. How is the diagnosis of hypertension made?
8. What are the manifestations related to hypertension?
• Include in your answer target-organ damage
9. How do medications act to control blood pressure?
• Include in your answer, what are some non-pharmacological interventions to manage blood pressure, how do they help?