In a 3-4 page paper:
Assess the overall tool you selected to analyze for this assignment. In your assessment, explain whether you believe there are questions that were not addressed and why you think that may be important.
Explain whether or not the assessment is strengths-based.
Identify other professionals in healthcare who may have input into the assessment.
Identify any sections of the assessment tool that are best completed by other healthcare professionals and explain why.
Consider the implications of various professionals disagreeing over the assessment content and discuss how would you mitigate those challenges.
Explain how psychosocial issues (including policy and legal issues) might impact the patient’s medical care and/or health outcomes and the role of the social worker in assessing and addressing those issues on an interdisciplinary healthcare team.
Support your Assignment with specific references to resources, using appropriate APA format and style. You are asked to provide a reference list for all resources, including those in the resources for this course.
Here are 2 sources:
Findley, P. A. (2013). Social work practice in the chronic care model: Chronic illness and disability care. Journal of Social Work. doi:10.1177/1468017313475381
Gehlert, S., & Browne, T. (Eds.). (2012). Handbook of health social work (2nd ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
Chart Abstraction Checklist—Psychosocial-Spiritual Assessment
Instructions for Use
This checklist can be used in three ways:
- Self-Assessment. Fellows can perform their own chart reviews. The fellow can then make a self-assessment, which he or she would share with a faculty mentor or program director.
- Peer Assessment. Fellows can use it to assess peers’ charts. In the presence of a faculty member or program director, the fellow would give feedback to the peer. This would allow practice of giving feedback and allow the fellow to learn from a peer’s documentation strengths and deficiencies.
- Faculty Assessment. Faculty can perform periodic chart reviews on fellows’ charts. The checklist would be reviewed with the fellow periodically in order to provide feedback on documentation, plans of care, etc.
Instructions for Entering Data
Print the assessment tool and fill it out.
On the Computer
- Text—type the text (eg, fellow’s name) in the shaded area, then press the Tab key to move to the next field.
- Checkbox—click in the box or press the spacebar to select it.
- Saving—Select File, Save As, and save with a new name.
- Editing—If you want to make changes to the assessment tool, you must first unlock it so that it is no longer a form. To display the Forms toolbar in Word 2003, from the menu select View, Toolbars, Forms. Click the Protect Form icon to unlock it. Be sure to lock the form again after you have made the edits.
|Chart Abstraction Checklist—Psychosocial-Spiritual Assessment|
|Competency Domain: Patient and Family Care, Practice-Based Learning and Improvement|
|Purpose: To assess fellow’s documentation of psychosocial-spiritual issues in the medical chart.|
1. Select 5 to 10 inpatient or outpatient charts. Criteria for patient chart selection:
2. Review fellow notes for the items listed below.
|Psychiatric History (Documented?)||Yes||No||Partial|
|1.||History or absence of previous depression|
|2.||History or absence of previous anxiety disorder|
|3.||History or absence of other psychiatric illness(es)|
|4.||History of substance abuse|
|5.||Current depression (if yes, presence of suicidal ideation?)|
|Social History (Documented?)||Yes||No||Partial|
|1.||Marital or partnered status|
|2.||Occupation or educational level|
|Health Habits History (Documented?)||Yes||No||Partial|
|1.||Current substance use or abuse|
|2.||Utilization of complementary therapies|
|Spiritual/Existential History (Documented?)||Yes||No||Partial|
|2.||Whether this is a source of support|
|3.||Current desire for chaplaincy or spiritual support|
|Assessment & Plan (If none identified, adjust scoring)||Yes||No||Partial|
|1.||Issues for follow up or treatments addressed|
|2.||Utilization of other resources: eg, social worker and/or chaplain consulted, psychiatric referral recommended, etc.|
|3.||Any issues of substance abuse addressed, if identified|
|Scoring: 1 point for each item marked YES; and 0.5 point for PARTIAL Total Score:|
|16–21 = Excellent||11–15 = Good||6–10 = Fair||1–5 = Poor|
|3. Review results with fellow.|
|Date:||Fellow Signature:||Reviewer Signature:|