New And Precise Climate Change Discussion Environmental Science
The topic of this discussion is Climate Change. Chapter 19 in your text provides a basis for completing this discussion, but you will have to look further afield in the literature, the Internet and articles that can prompt a more in-depth study of the topic.
- Do any of you believe that Global Climate Change did not occur over the last 900,000 years and is not actually occurring today?
- Do you think that it is a distorted, unsubstantiated phenomenon concocted by people who want to eliminate the power industry?
- Is it an excuse by government agencies to shift concern for climate change to mask the real problems of the day?
- Maybe you think that it is a figment of some Hollywood producer’s imagination to advance a new type of science fiction genre?
This discussion is not meant to stop anyone from being skeptical because it is healthy in science to question what is not understood. Read the material in Chapter 19, do some further research on the topic from other sources and think about the valid scientific evidence presented. This discussion should allow you to become more familiar with this controversial topic but you will have to assume that climate change existed and/or does exist. The question for discussion concerns the extent, if any, of human involvement and of human activities.
In your main post:
1. Report whether you agree or disagree with the following statement: “Humans have accelerated climate change due to activities such as burning of fossil fuels.”
2. Provide at least 2 comprehensive reasons that support your position with at least one including scientific evidence/data published by a respected, peer reviewed journal. Do not forget to properly reference your sources.
Consider the following items as you search for information on Climate Change:
- Occurrence versus non-occurrence.
- Is there visual evidence or what and where are the possible signs?
- Climate history and how it is developed or determined.
- Models and modelling data. Confidence in results?
- Causes other than human activity.
References: Provide proper citations and references in APA Style as necessary for any material you use from primary sources.