new and precise Tort Laws
In this unit, you will select a case law pertaining to the topic of tort law.
Each case law analysis allows you to express yourself as clearly and fully as possible in dissecting a court decision. The purpose of the assignment is two-fold:
- To give you the opportunity to read a real court decision.
- To challenge you to think about how you would have decided the case. In your case law analyses, you must be able to navigate the court’s decision and summarize it; you are not expected to act as a judge or an advocate.
Using your selected court decision, prepare an analysis that responds to the following:
- Articulates the importance, context, purpose, and relevance of law in a business environment:
- Identify the parties who are before the court.
- Provide a brief background to the problem. Summarize the facts in no more than 2–3 paragraphs.
- Identify what is the specific disagreement between the parties.
- Explain the ruling of the court in no more than 1–2 paragraphs.
- Evaluates key judicial concepts that influence the decisions related to business:
- Was there a dissenting opinion? If so, explain why some of the judges or justices disagreed with the majority in the decision.
- Finally, do you agree with the court’s decision? Why or why not?
You may choose any court case, (Ryan VS Schad http://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/12-1084)either state or federal, as the basis for your case law analysis; however, the case should be applicable to the assignment topic. The recommended Web sites for researching and locating a case are listed in the Assignment Resources area below.
Your analysis should be no more than two pages, double-spaced. References and citations are to adhere to APA formatting and style guidelines.