Nursing Management of the Postpartum Woman at Risk
1. Amy calls the office 3 days after delivering a healthy baby girl and tells you she is passing small clots and feels like her bleeding is heavier than it should be. You advise Amy to come into the clinic to be checked. (Learning Objectives 1, 2, 3, and 6)
- What are the “four T’s” that need to be assessed in a possible case of postpartum hemorrhage?
- Amy also tearfully tells you that she is experiencing anxiety and feelings of being overwhelmed. What is she experiencing, and what education are you going to provide?
2. Alyssa, age 26, had a cesarean delivery 7 days ago and is breast-feeding her baby. She calls the office today and reports that she has a temperature of 102. (Learning Objective 5)
- Given the limited information you have, describe the four most likely types of infection Alyssa may have contracted.
- What additional questions do you want to ask her to try to ascertain the cause of her fever?
3. Describe the care required to treat each of these infections.