For this paper, you will observe people moving and behaving in a space that you associate with a socioeconomic class different from your own.
If you consider yourself a member of the lower-middle class, for example, you might observe the lifestyles of the people in a wealthier part of your town. Likewise, if you consider yourself part of the upper-middle class, you might observe people in a lower-income neighborhood or a space occupied by people living in poverty. Your choice will depend upon your own socioeconomic status and whether you decide to observe people from a higher or lower class.
The following suggestions or obtain your instructor’s approval for an alternative:
· An expensive restaurant or store.
· A resort, country club, playhouse, or concert hall.
- · An unemployment office.
· A soup kitchen or free clinic.
Consider the following questions in 750-word paper:
- What did you observe?
- Why was this situation out of your comfort zone?
- What did you learn?
- What perceptions changed or remained the same about the people observed?
- What types of things did you notice about the people? Did you witness any socially conscious individuals? What traits did you see?
- What type of social inequality did you observe or experience?
- Did your comfort level change from the time the observation began until it ended and if so how?
- How has this experience helped you to be more of a socially conscious individual?
- What traits will you need to exhibit?
- What areas need to be improved and what steps will you take to ensure there is growth in this area?
Develop a personal action plan while considering the above questions.