Promoting Cognitive Development
As you have learned in your readings, Piaget, Erikson, Skinner, and Vygotsky took different approaches to child development. One’s theoretical perspective influences approaches to child development. The Jacksons are a young couple living in Centervale. They have approached Keith, the child development consultant, for advice on how to promote and nurture the cognitive development of their preschooler Jasmine.
Watch the following video to learn more about the similarities and differences of developmental theories. Study of the Child: Theories of Development I, produced by Herzog, Milan & Herzog, Shanta (Learning Seed, 1997), 29:02 mins obtained from Alexander Street Press Education in Video from AUO Library.
- Compare and contrast the approaches of each of the four perspectives (Piaget, Erikson, Skinner, and Vygotsky).
- Explain how each theorist would approach the issue of cognitive development in early childhood. Describe how Keith’s advice to Jasmine’s parents might vary depending on his theoretical perspective.
- What role would society and family play in Jasmine’s cognitive development at this stage of development? What cultural, psychosocial and physical influences will be seen?
- Incorporate information learned in your readings and at least one peer-reviewed* article from the AUO library to support your conclusions.
* Peer reviewed means an article from a reputable journal, which can be found in the library. Peer reviewed indicates that other professionals in the field have reviewed and deemed it worthy of publication, in contrast to much if what we find online: someone posting something they want, without someone else verifying that their methods were rigorous enough and the study is valid. Use your book and course lectures as your primary resources, as well as articles from our library. If you must supplement from a website, do NOT use .coms. Instead, look for .org, .gov, and sometimes .edu for more reputable sources. Never use Wikipedia or about.com.
Write a 7-8 page paper in Word format. Be sure to include introductory and concluding paragraphs in your paper, a title page and a reference page. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.