- According to Jung, one way that the archetype is expressed is through:the shadow.
- The defense mechanism of redirecting thoughts, feelings, and impulses from an object that gives rise to anxiety to a safer, more acceptable one is known as:displacement.
- Understanding the nature of the presenting problem in the goals of cognitive–behavioral theory is best looked at through which perspective?affective
all of the above
- Change during Gestalt counseling and psychotherapy comes about as clients become more aware of themselves through:using a continuum of awareness focused on how, what, and where.
using questions rather than statements.
using the third-person pronoun “they.”
addressing others indirectly.
- Which of the following are true regarding advocacy as a part of counseling and psychotherapy?Counselors or therapists should assume that clients cannot advocate for themselves.
Advocacy is different from counseling and psychotherapy in that clients do not need informed consent.
Advocacy can take place at many different levels from individual to systemic.
Advocating for clients and client groups damages the therapeutic alliance.
- According to rational emotive behavior therapy, certain values promote emotional adjustment and mental health. Which of the following is not one of these values?non-utopian
low frustration tolerance
high frustration tolerance
- The family life spiral is:an example of family decline.
a linear model.
an example of a life stressor.
a developmental model.
- The counseling profession has fully adapted to the diversity of society.True
- The founder of person-centered therapy is:Frederick “Fritz” Perls.
- The central concept of the expressive arts approach in counseling is:action.
none of the above.
- Which of the following family therapists is best known for his or her structural approach to treatment?Satir
- A counselor directing family members to engage in a communication game to examine how their incongruent messages lead to pain and lower self-esteem is following which approach to family therapy?conjoint
- Teasing out stressors poses a challenge for the family therapist because of the family’s:mistrust of therapy.
severity of pain.
- In choice theory, human motivation springs from which of these five sources?belonging, survival, knowledge, fun, power
survival, belonging, power, freedom, fun
power, achievement, enjoyment, information, security
survival, achievement, love, success, pride