- In your own words define natural selection and evolution
Answer the following questions in essay format. See the assignment expectations below for details on how to format your essay. You will be selecting one species from the video below to address questions 4 and 5 (video is approximately 12 minutes in length). You will need to conduct additional research to complete the essay in detail.
- In your own words define natural selection and evolution.
- What are four key components of natural selection?
- What kinds of variable traits might natural selection act upon within a population?
Choose one species from the video below (examples include the peacock or North American Elk) to complete the remaining two questions for your Case Assignment:
Conboy, R. Evolution – Why Sex? Retrieved March 13, 2018 from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AiHTcWejjQ
- Sexual selection is a “special case” of natural selection. Define sexual selection (explain the concepts of male competition and female choice in your answer).
- How do the unique traits of the animal you have chosen increase its fitness (in reproductive terms)?
Organize this essay assignment using subtitles that summarize the topic from each question above. For example, to answer Question 1, use a descriptive subtitle like the following: Natural Selection and Evolution.
Your essay should be approximately 2-3 pages in length. Answer each question under the subtitle using complete sentences that relate back to the question. Be sure to use APA formatting throughout your essay with 1-inch margins, 12-point type and double spacing throughout. Include a title page, introduction, answers to the questions with subtitles and concluding paragraph. Remember to include in-text citations within the body of the essay referencing your resources (i.e. Murray, 2014). Also, be sure to include a reference section at the end of your assignment listing all required readings and any additional resources you used to complete your essay.
Direct quotes should be limited and must be designated by quotation marks. Paraphrased ideas must give credit to the original author, for example (Murray, 2014). Direct copying from “homework help” websites will not receive credit. Once you have completed your assignment within a word document, please upload your final version to the Module Four Case Assignment dropbox. Please also note your Turnitin originality score and make revisions as needed. Please contact your instructor with any questions