- According to psychoanalytic therapy, human beings are:motivated by social interest.
Free to choose their own destinies.
inclined to become self-actualized.
driven by unconscious, instinctual drives.
- According to Jung, one way that the archetype is expressed is through:the superego.
- A family system’s perspective implies:the outside world is the most powerful influence on a person’s development.
clients are best understood through the context of their familial roles.
that clients are autonomous and independent of their families.
systemic intervention must be used to disrupt unhealthy family interactions.
- Constructivist-oriented counselorstake the perspective that clients’ cultural backgrounds are irrelevant to their stories
do not impose their own lived experiences on the client’s narrative
believe that their clients are unable to resolve discrepancies in their life stories
seek to impart their own lived experiences on their clients
- WDEP stands for:wants, direction, efficacy, planning.
wants, doing, self-evaluation, planning.
wants, desires, self-evaluation, purpose.
wishes, direction, efficiency, purpose.
- Which component of the personality is responsible for helping an individual cope with reality and preventing the individual from acting on his or her basic urges?Superego
- The family life cycle is:an example of family decline.
a developmental model.
an example of a life stressor.
a linear model.
- ___________ considered confrontation as an important part of encouragement.Adler
- A multifaceted process occurring across the life span is called:genderfication.
gender role socialization.
gender role identification.
- Which of the following is descriptive of what closure means in existential counseling?It means stopping therapy at the end of the semester at a counseling center.
Facing the end of the helping relationship is the final confrontation with reality.
It is a relatively unimportant part of counseling.
It is when counselors close out all of their files.
- Which of the following strategies is most consistent with empowerment in coun¬seling and psychotherapy?Helping the client view the counselor or therapist as expert.
Letting clients know specifically what goals they should be working toward.
Providing the client with a thorough explanation of the therapy process.
Pointing out to clients how their past behaviors have been ineffective.
- Stage 1 (relationship development) of the helping process includes all but one of the following activities:data gathering
- A traditional technique in psychoanalysis that invites clients to relate what¬ever comes into their minds during the session without self-censorship isAnalyzing resistances
- According to Adler, which of the following is not one of the three life tasks?Love
- The developer of dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) is:Fritz Perls.
- According to person-centered theory, for someone to be continuously believed and trusted by a client they must:have years of professional experience.
know the right questions to ask.
not make mistakes.
- A counselor directing a client to physically move during a session is an activity most likely to occur in which of the following approaches to family therapy?structural
- In working with a triangulated relationship, Bowen would be inclined to:remain detached, reinforcing calmness and rationality.
join the family.
side with one member involved in the triangle.
engage in self-disclosure to build trust.
- Yalom’s theory focused on all below exceptthe importance of the relationship
psychoanalytic/psychodynamic existential counseling
identifying wants and needs
death, freedom, isolation, and meaning
- The dialectical behavior theory model proposes that a successful counseling intervention must meet five critical functions. Which of the following is not one of these functions?boost the clients’ capabilities
structure the environment so that the treatment can take place
ensure the clients’ capabilities are specific to their environment
improve and preserve the clients’ incentive to change
- The goal of reality therapy is tohelp clients raise their level of perception.
lower clients’ level of perception.
fulfill wants and needs without infringing on the rights of others.
get in touch with reality.
- A strategy of feminist counselors for empowering clients is to involve them in naming their problems and participating in directing the counseling process. This strategy is called:gender role analysis.
demystifying the counseling process.
- Which of the following are true regarding advocacy as a part of counseling and psychotherapy?Advocating for clients and client groups damages the therapeutic alliance.
Counselors or therapists should assume that clients cannot advocate for themselves.
Advocacy can take place at many different levels from individual to systemic.
Advocacy is different from counseling and psychotherapy in that clients do not need informed consent.
- According to Ellis, shoulds, oughts, and musts do not fall under which of the following categories?world-demandingness
- All of the following strategies are unique to feminist therapy except for:encouraging clients to take social action.
gender-role analysis and intervention.
power analysis and intervention.
- Empowerment and egalitarianism are the basis of the _______ therapeutic relationship.Gestalt