- A tool for conceptualizing key relationships in a three-generational extended family is a:genogram.
- Reality therapy is:more rational than humanistic
more behavioral than cognitive.
more cognitive–behavioral than nondirective.
more humanistic than existential.
- The dialectical behavior theory model uses individual therapy, group therapy, and phone coaching.True
- One of the primary goals of transpersonal counseling is to:bring the client to an acceptable level of mental health.
bring the client to a point where he or she can begin to work on transpersonal issues.
take the client into the realm of transcendence, unity, and extraordinary mental health.
none of the above.
- In reality therapy, the skilled counselor or therapist treats behavior as:the result of social pressure and limited perceptions of possibilities.
information received from parents and from the surrounding culture.
caused by self-verbalizations that can be helpful or hurtful.
chosen as a result of unmet wants and needs.
- Stage 1 (relationship development) of the helping process includes all but one of the following activities:initial meeting
- If a counselor is trained specifically in an expressive art technique, he or she does not need to integrate his or her approach with a theory.True
- Which of the following best describes those strategies used to aid in data gathering?questioning
a and b above
- In rational emotive behavior therapy, according to DiGiuseppe, an example of an “inelegant” solution (i.e., a copying strategy for a particular event, not long term) is:accepting automatic thoughts
accepting irrational thoughts
none of the above
- In the A-B-C model proposed by Ellis, the factor that creates the emotional and behavioral consequences is:activating event.
none of the above.
- Which of the following is not considered one of the six core principles of feminist therapy?an intrapsychic orientation
commitment to social change
recognition of all types of oppression
the person is political
- Which of the following is not one of the three approaches to existential counseling?dynamic existentialism
- The most important factor in the therapeutic alliance is the:quality and nature of the relationship between counselor or therapist and client.
counselor’s or therapist’s skills.
client’s willingness to work hard.
depth of the problems being experienced.
- This component of the psyche strives to protect the individual from experiencing anxiety and guilt:ego
- According to Ellis, the shoulds, oughts, and musts fall under which of the following categories?self-demandingness
all of the above
- The Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development’s Multicultural Counseling Competencies emphasize:self-awareness, spiritual awareness, and valuing peace.
knowledge of different cultures, their customs, and traditional foods.
self-awareness, awareness of clients’ worldviews, and awareness of culturally appropriate interventions.
not working with culturally different clients.
- Reality therapy can be applied to the following clients:the elderly and retired
all of the above
- All of the following are techniques used in solution-focused therapy except for:scaling questions
the miracle question
using a reflecting team
- Gestalt-therapy techniques are designed to help the client:intensify feelings and experiences.
free him or herself from specific behavioral symptoms.
expand awareness of the here-and-now.
both a. and c.
- Which of the following is not consistent with rational emotive behavior therapy?Events or other people make us feel bad or good.
Thinking, feeling, and behaving are interconnected.
Emotional distress results from exaggeration, overgeneralization, and unvalidated assumptions.
Irrational beliefs emanate from environmental and genetic factors.